Hey there, Reader Davegreco.com! Are you tired of spending hours searching for the perfect pillow covers, only to find that they don’t quite fit your pillows? Well, we’ve got you covered (pun intended) with this complete guide on how to measure pillows for covers. With our step-by-step instructions and handy tips, you’ll never have to deal with ill-fitting covers again.
Before we dive in, let’s take a moment to appreciate the importance of choosing the right pillow covers. Not only do they add a touch of style to your home decor, but they also protect your pillows from dirt, dust, and allergens. So, let’s get started on this pillow cover measuring adventure!
Choosing the Right Measurement Technique
Using a Tape Measure
When it comes to measuring pillows for covers, using a tape measure is arguably the most accurate method. Here’s how you can do it:
- Place your pillow on a flat surface and fluff it up to its normal shape.
- Measure the width of your pillow from one side to the other, making sure to go across the center.
- Next, measure the height of your pillow from top to bottom, again going through the center.
- Write down these measurements (width x height) in inches or centimeters, whichever you prefer.
By using a tape measure, you’ll be able to get precise measurements, ensuring that your pillow covers fit like a glove.
Estimating Measurements without a Tape Measure
If you don’t have a tape measure handy, don’t worry! You can still get a fairly accurate estimate of your pillow cover measurements. Here’s how:
- Grab a standard piece of paper, preferably A4 or letter size.
- Place your pillow on the paper and use it as a guide for marking the width and height.
- Once you’ve marked the edges of your pillow on the paper, remove the pillow and connect the marks with straight lines.
- Measure the length of these lines using a ruler. Again, write down the measurements in inches or centimeters.
While this method may not be as precise as using a tape measure, it will still give you a good estimate of your pillow cover dimensions.
Taking Into Account Pillow Fillings and Forms
Compensating for Fluffiness
Now that you have your measurements, it’s essential to consider the fluffiness of your pillows. If your pillows are extra fluffy or have a thick filling, you may need to adjust the measurements slightly. Here’s how:
- If your pillow is exceptionally fluffy, add an inch or two to both the width and height measurements.
- For pillows with a thinner filling, you can subtract an inch or two from the measurements.
- Always make sure to adjust the measurements based on the fluffiness of your pillows to ensure a snug fit.
Accounting for Pillow Forms
Pillow forms (also known as pillow inserts) are often used to give pillows a plump and full appearance. If you plan on using pillow forms, it’s essential to take their thickness into account when measuring for covers. Here’s how you can do it:
- Measure the width of your pillow form.
- Subtract the width of the form from the width of your pillow cover measurement.
- Repeat the same process for the height measurement.
- By subtracting the form’s width and height, you’ll ensure that your covers fit snugly around the form and maintain its plumpness.
Congratulations, Reader Davegreco.com! You’ve just become an expert in measuring pillows for covers. Now, armed with the knowledge from this guide, you can confidently shop for pillow covers that fit your pillows perfectly.
We hope you found this article helpful and informative. If you’re interested in more home and garden tips and tricks, be sure to check out our other articles. From decorating ideas to gardening hacks, we’ve got you covered (no pun intended this time) with a wide range of topics to explore. Happy pillow cover shopping!